View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0008562||ardour||bugs||public||2021-02-04 00:26||2021-03-03 20:24|
|Summary||0008562: MIDI driven knob (VST plugin) moves the displayed value of the knob but not its value|
|Description||MIDI driven knob (VST plugin) moves the displayed value of the knob but not its value in the plugin while the SAME knob moved with the mouse cursor is actually changing value in the plugin.|
Also see https://discourse.ardour.org/t/midi-control-knob-and-switch-of-a-vst-plugin-works-with-mouse-but-when-driven-by-midi-displays-the-action-without-doing-it/105445
|Steps To Reproduce||- Setup MIDI, and don't forget to change this fXXXXg "Smooth" parameter to 127 as it should be by default (this used 3 hours of my life)|
- Install Helix Native 3.01 VST3 (maybe it works with other VST pluging)
- make a track for your guitar and put an instance of the plugin in the sound path
- in Helix Native, put a Wah and assign "knob1" to the position parameter so knob 1 will control the effect.
- display knob of the VST plugin
- execute MIDI learn and assign it to an expression pedal (in my case Roland FC-200 via a Berhinger UMC 1820)
So here the fun begin.
- move the knob value with the mouse cursor -> the display of the knob (the bar) moves and the sound of the guitar changes
- move the knob value with the expression pedal -> the display of the knob (the bar) moves but the plugin receives no event and the guitar sound is unchanged.
|Tags||6.5, MIDI control, plugin, VST3, Windows|
I discovered that in fact the knob is active but very weirdly and only with slow motion which is what happen when the Smooth parameter is at a low value. But I put it to a high value!
So my guess is the following: Smoothing parameter is not applied to the actual communication of the plugin, only to some ardour stuff and that's why the parameter in the VST plugin is not tracked correctly.
To be very clear about my previous comment (0025488).
The knob jauge, attached to the VST plugin, in the effect loop of the track is moving with the expression pedal (because I set up Smoothing to 127) but inside the plugin, the parameter moves like the Smoothing was still on 10.
||Here is the knob jauge I talk about.|
"don't forget to change this fXXXXg "Smooth" parameter to 127 as it should be by default (this used 3 hours of my life)"
I believe I explained elsewhere why it should not be 127 by default, and why there is fact no suitable default for this value. The correct value depends on the MIDI hardware in use.
|2021-02-04 00:26||DBA||New Issue|
|2021-02-04 00:26||DBA||Tag Attached: 6.5|
|2021-02-04 00:27||DBA||Tag Attached: CC|
|2021-02-04 00:27||DBA||Tag Attached: MIDI control|
|2021-02-04 00:27||DBA||Tag Detached: CC|
|2021-02-04 00:27||DBA||Tag Attached: plugin|
|2021-02-04 00:27||DBA||Tag Attached: VST3|
|2021-02-04 00:27||DBA||Tag Attached: Windows|
|2021-02-04 08:06||DBA||Note Added: 0025488|
|2021-02-04 13:09||DBA||Note Added: 0025490|
|2021-02-04 13:12||DBA||File Added: MIDI Control.png|
|2021-02-04 13:12||DBA||Note Added: 0025491|
|2021-03-03 20:24||paul||Note Added: 0025590|