View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0007795||ardour||bugs||public||2019-08-24 13:51||2020-04-19 20:18|
|Platform||Windows 10||OS||Windows||OS Version||10|
|Summary||0007795: GUI freeze when changing parameters in the "a-High/Low pass Filter" plugin.|
|Description||(see "Summary" and "Steps To Reproduce")|
|Steps To Reproduce||1. Start Ardour 5.12|
2. Create an "a-High/Low-Pass Filter" plugin.
3. Open GUI for that plugin.
4. Make sure "Plugin analysis" is visible.
5. Move a slider rapidly back and forth.
6. After a few seconds (if your computer is slow enough), GUI starts freezing.
|Additional Information||Tested on windows and linux, two different graphic cards, two different CPUs. Looks like it takes a lot of time to draw graphics, and when changing slider values, it can take so much time to update the graphics (probably caused by a flood of events) that the GUI freezes.|
A workaround is to remove the line with "siz = lpf_chunk" from the function dsp_run.
This does not happen in Ardour 5.6.0.
(clone of issue https://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=7787)
|Tags||No tags attached.|
OK. So this seems to be because the GUI thread uses 100% CPU.
- Since Ardour 5.6.0 the analysis was updated from 2048 to 8192 frames. The required CPU power for plugin analysis increased by about a factor of 4.
- a-hp/lp filter interpolates parameter changes every 64 samples, by recalculating biquad coefficients (crappy textbook DSP). This is rather CPU expensive.
Possibly fixed in 6.0-pre0-2246-g9ce5184993
See https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/commit/3f19db4180903425d5807a7a31262c9769683c8f for an explanation
||Fixed in Ardour 6.0-pre1|
Issue has been closed automatically, by Trigger Close Plugin.
Feel free to re-open with additional information if you think the issue is not resolved.
|2019-08-24 13:51||kjetil||New Issue|
|2019-08-24 13:51||kjetil||Issue generated from: 0007787|
|2019-08-24 14:00||x42||Relationship added||duplicate of 0007787|
|2019-08-24 14:25||x42||Note Added: 0020752|
|2019-08-24 15:14||x42||Assigned To||=> x42|
|2019-08-24 15:14||x42||Status||new => feedback|
|2019-08-24 15:14||x42||Note Added: 0020753|
|2019-08-24 15:17||x42||Relationship replaced||has duplicate 0007787|
|2020-04-06 18:56||x42||Status||feedback => resolved|
|2020-04-06 18:56||x42||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2020-04-06 18:56||x42||Note Added: 0021219|
|2020-04-19 20:18||system||Note Added: 0023801|
|2020-04-19 20:18||system||Status||resolved => closed|