View Issue Details
|ID||Category||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0007300||bugs||2017-03-23 11:03||2017-03-24 13:32|
|Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0007300: Track context menu > Select > Select all between playhead and edit point does nothing|
|Description||Regardless of the Edit Point selection, the "track context menu > Select > Select all between playhead and edit point" does nothing. |
In Playhead mode, obviously, but also in Mouse and Marker modes
|Steps To Reproduce||1) Place the Playhead anywhere|
2) Choose e.g. the Mouse as an Edit Point
3) Right click in a track > Select > Select all between playhead and edit point
=> the selection doesn't change
|Tags||No tags attached.|
||It looks like a fossil from the very old Ardour behaviour regarding edits, and IMHO should simply be removed|
||"Select All Within Playhead and Edit Point" and "Select Range Between Playhead and Edit Point", in the same menu, are also affected|
I can confirm this behaviour with 5.8. Can you explain a bit more as to why you think they should be removed, rather than just fixed.
Is there similar functionality that makes this unnecessary etc?
My reasoning for the removal is :
- anything this function does can be (more easily) done with a range at least
- the very fact no one noticed this bug before shows its not of much real world use
- it can be confusing as the playhead can be an Edit Point so fixing it is probably not trivial (greying the option when the Edit Point is set to Playhead, handling the fact that a marker should stay selected when right-clicking the track to select this option etc...)
This is of course a personnal opinion and any solution will do, removing or fixing.
I think I agree with your reasoning as to why it can be removed but also without knowing how long it has been broken etc it is hard to say if people don't use this functionality.
It is not a priority for me to fix (or remove) this functionality so I think it best to wait for more feedback. Thanks for reporting it.
I've tried it in Ardour 3 : it already worked very unreliably back then :
- in EP = Playhead -> no grayed menus
- in EP = mouse -> did not work at all
- in EP = marker, you had to context click over a region (not an empty part of a track, to not unselect the marker) and the selection is a bit random, not all tracks have selected regions.
|2017-03-23 11:03||Headwar||New Issue|
|2017-03-23 11:05||Headwar||Note Added: 0019546|
|2017-03-23 11:08||Headwar||Note Added: 0019547|
|2017-03-23 13:54||timbyr||Note Added: 0019548|
|2017-03-23 13:54||timbyr||Status||new => confirmed|
|2017-03-24 10:23||Headwar||Note Added: 0019549|
|2017-03-24 11:59||timbyr||Note Added: 0019552|
|2017-03-24 11:59||timbyr||Note Edited: 0019552||View Revisions|
|2017-03-24 13:32||Headwar||Note Added: 0019553|